Deaths Total 38 in 2006: Represents Second Year of Decline
For Immediate Release
October 16, 2007
October 16, 2007 – Work injuries were the cause of 38 deaths in this
state during 2006, the Connecticut Department of Labor’s Division of
Occupational Safety and Health (CONN-OSHA) reported today.
According to State Labor Commissioner Patricia H. Mayfield, this figure
represents the second consecutive decline in the number of reported work-injury
fatalities in Connecticut, and it brings the number below the state’s annual
average of 41.
“While we are pleased that the number of work injury deaths has declined again
this year,” Mayfield said, “even one workplace fatality is one too many.
Working with this report and the data it provides to us, our agency will
continue to work closely with companies in order to educate employers and
employees alike to recognize and address workplace hazards.”
2006, work injuries in America cost 5,703 lives nationwide. This translates into
a rate of 3.9 deaths per Published by the Connecticut Department of Labor, Project Management Office0,000 workers. Since much of Connecticut’s employment
is in low-risk industries, the state has consistently been able to maintain a
fatality rate below the national average. For 2006, Connecticut had a fatal work
injury rate of 2.2 per Published by the Connecticut Department of Labor, Project Management Office0,000 workers.
Specific data on Connecticut work-injury fatalities for 2006, which includes
comparisons to national statistics, are outlined in the attached tables. The
study includes the following details:
Transportation accidents resulted in 15 deaths in 2006 and accounted for the
largest percentage of workers – about 40% -- who lost their lives on the job.
This includes automobile accidents, construction zone workers struck by
vehicles, and workers struck by tractors or other equipment.
Assaults and violent acts accounted for the lives of Published by the Connecticut Department of Labor, Project Management Office workers, with this
number evenly divided between homicides and suicides.
Connecticut, men accounted for 84% (32) of the work-injury fatalities in 2006.
Nationally, men accounted for 93% (5,275).
Wage and salary workers accounted for 74% of the fatalities. The remaining 26%
total of 34% (13) of the fatalities were in transportation and material moving
occupations. This category includes tractor-trailer drivers, delivery drivers,
and driving sales workers.
Approximately 34% of the fatalities involved workers between 45 and 54 years
of age. The next highest percentage of deaths, at 26%, was reported among the
workforce in the 25 to 34 year age range.
The greatest recorded losses were experienced in 1998 with 57 fatalities,
followed by 55 in 2000, 54 in 2004. The lowest recorded loss occurred in 1993
with 31 deaths.
Since 1992, data on work fatalities is collected through the federal Census of
Fatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses (CFOI) program. Information is
collected through media coverage, police reports, death certificates and
employers, regardless of their industry or company size, are required to report
all work fatalities to federal OSHA within eight hours of a workplace death, by
either calling 1-800-321-OSHA or visiting a local OSHA office. Although
employers are not required to report fatal transportation accidents outside of
construction zones or public transportation accidents, they are encouraged to
report these fatalities as well.
“There is a common misconception that certain deaths, such as heart attacks or
suicides, do not need to be reported to OSHA,” explains Erin Wilkins, CONN-OSHA
Research Analyst who helped to compile the report. “Any death occurring in the
workplace, or while an employee is ‘on duty,’ must be reported to OSHA.”
help companies operate their businesses as safety as possible, the Labor
Department offers a no-cost consultation service with the goal of identifying
existing or potential safety and health factors. For information on this
service, call CONN-OSHA at 860-263-6900 or complete the online request form.
Search for “CONN-OSHA consulting services” on Google or Yahoo! And
visit the first result.
U.S. Fatal Occupational Injuries, 2006:
Table 1. Event or Exposure
Table 2. Event or Exposure, 2002 – 2006
Table 3. Selected Worker Characteristic
Table 4. Select Occupational Groups
Table 5. By Industry
Table 6. Annual Numbers and Rates
Table 7. Occupations with Highest Fatality Rates
Table 8. Number and Percent Change by State
Safety and Health Statistics
July 07, 2015