Connecticut Department of Labor
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


Filing An Unemployment Appeal

You have only 21 calendar days from the date of the Administrator's predetermination hearing decision to file an appeal with the Appeals Division. Do not delay. Likewise, you have only 21 calendar days from the date of the Referee's decision to file an appeal to the Board of Review. Do not delay filing your appeal at either step.

How to File
Use the form available at any American Job Center, write a letter containing the basis for your appeal to the Appeals Division, or use the appeal form on the Internet  at

Filing in Person, by Fax, by Internet, or By U.S. Mail
You may file in person at any American Job Center or at any Appeals Division office, or by fax or Internet. If you file by mail, use the U.S. mail, or a private delivery service approved by the IRS: Airborne Express, DHL Worldwide Express, Federal Express, or United Parcel Service.  Use a stamp, not a private postal meter. The date of mailing can only be determined by a U.S. Postal Service postmark.

Preparing Your Case
Read the decision you received to determine the points of law that pertain to your case and what factors were used in reaching the decision. Determine what documentation and witnesses you will need to present a strong case. Proper documentation and credible, first-hand witnesses are vital to your success. See "Preparing for the Hearing" and "What Goes on at the Hearing" for additional information.

  • Documentation
    Records such as time cards, financial records, written warnings, employee handbooks, contract of hire, application for employment, medical records, police reports, and other agency reports (CHRO, Workers' Comp, rehabilitation reports, etc.) are examples of useful documentation. Bring two copies that you can enter into the record. If you need access to your personnel file, give your employer a written request at once. See "Preparing for the Hearing" for additional information.

  • Witnesses
    Witnesses with first-hand, personal knowledge of the circumstances leading to the separation are vital to your case.
    Have those witnesses attend the Referee's hearing. Written statements by witnesses, even with first-hand knowledge, will be given little, if any, weight because the author is not available for cross-examination. See "What Goes on at the Hearing" for additional information.


Attendance at Scheduled Hearings
If you file an appeal and do not show up at the hearing, you will probably lose the case. You may be able to get another hearing but only if you can show good cause for not appearing, such as sudden, documented illness or a personal emergency. Overslept, on a job interview, unexpected appointment, forgot, someone did not remind you, lost the hearing notice, and similar excuses are not good reasons. The Referee's hearing will likely be your only opportunity for a hearing to present witnesses and documentation in support of your case. The Board of Review rarely conducts hearings. See "Once an Appeal is Filed" for additional information.

Requesting a Postponement
Ask for a postponement as soon as possible if you have an unavoidable conflict. Last minute requests are generally denied unless you have a real emergency, as described above. See "Once an Appeal is Filed" for additional information.

You may bring legal or other professional representation to the hearing if you wish. However, witnesses with first-hand knowledge are still vital to the success of your appeal. Please read the above section about WITNESSES again. A list of free legal services  is provided in the section "Free Legal Services". You may also request a list of independent hearing representatives by completing the web form at  See "General Information", "Preparing for the Hearing" for additional information.

Free Video
The Appeals Division has a twenty-minute video explaining the appeals process and showing you what goes on at the Referee's hearing. The video is available for viewing on this web site at If you are unable to view the video from the web site, you may request that a copy be mailed to you. For a copy of the video, call the Appeals office nearest you, or fill out the form on our Internet site

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2002 - 2021 State of Connecticut