MEMO: AP 01-14
November 15, 2016
DATE: March 28, 2001
TO: WIB Directors; WIB Chairpersons; Grant Recipients
FROM: Lorna Joseph, Director of Program Support
SUBJECT: Assessment of Work Readiness Skills for Younger
Youth Under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
Purpose: To provide a system to assess the work
readiness skills for younger youth under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) and
improve the consistency and accuracy of performance measurement and reporting.
Policy: Effective July 1, 2001, all local youth
programs funded under WIA will be required to use the same system for measuring
and documenting the work readiness skills of younger youth.
The system is a modification of the existing
Employability Competency System (ECS), and enables incremental measurement and
documentation of progress toward annual goals for each youth, by establishing
- determining and documenting baseline skill levels;
- targeting one or more skills for improvement
(program staff and youth collaboratively);
- identifying appropriate learning activities
- documenting completion of assigned activities;
- determining scores through evaluation of youths’
work and other evidence of learning; and
- recording points earned and levels attained for
Copies of the work readiness tool have already been
forwarded to Workforce Investment Boards under separate cover.
Questions may be directed to your area liaison.