Connecticut Department of Labor, Partner of the American Job Center Network
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


Employee Complaint Forms


Employer Forms


Manuals and Publications


Prevailing Wages


Standard Wage Rates


Workplace Standards


Employment of Minors




Joint Enforcement
Commission For Worker Misclassification


Stop Work Orders


Contact Us


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Employers


1.  What is the minimum wage?
As of January 1st 2017, the minimum wage is $10.10 per hour. For minors working in agriculture or government, it is 85% of minimum wage, and for minors working in other industries, it is 85% for the first 200 hours. This is covered in Section 31-58 and Section 31-58a of the CT State Statutes.
2.  What is the minimum wage for Service employees (waitpersons and bartenders)?
The minimum wage for service employees is $10.10 per hour with a gratuity allowance of 36.8% of the minimum wage for waitpersons  and $10.10 per hour with a gratuity allowance of 18.5% of the minimum wage for bartenders The base wage remains at $6.38 per hour and $8.23 for bartenders. IMPORTANT NOTE: All state and federal taxes are required to be paid based on at least the $10.10 minimum wage (gross wages).
3.  When is an employer required to pay overtime?
After 40 hours of actual work in the same work week. It is calculated at one and one-half times the employee's regular rate of pay. This is covered under the CT State Statutes in the following sections:
4.  Is the employee due overtime after working 8 hours in a day, or on a Sunday, or on a holiday?
No, unless by employment agreement.
5.  What is an exempt/non-exempt employee for the purposes of wage and hour laws?
Please see the "Exempt/Non-Exempt Employees for the Purposes of Wage and Hour Laws" page for more information.
6.  Does paying an employee by salary exempt them from overtime and record-keeping requirements?
No, the employee must meet the definition of an executive, administrative, or professional employee as defined by the Labor Commissioner. The employee must meet both a duties test and salary test. (see Section 31-60-14,15,16 of the Administrative Regulations).
7.  Is an employer required to provide a break?
Connecticut state law does not require an employer to provide a break. However, state law does require the employer to provide a meal period after the employee has worked 7½ or more consecutive hours. Meal period requirements are covered under 31-51ii of the Conn. State Statutes.
8.  Is the employer required to provide a meal period?
The employer must provide a meal period of at least 30 consecutive minutes if the employee has worked for 7½ or more consecutive hours. However, the Labor Commissioner will exempt the employer from this requirement if one of the following conditions is present:
a. complying with this requirement would endanger public safety;
b. the duties of the position can only be performed by one employee;
c. the employer employs less than 5 employees on that shift at that one business location (this only applies to that particular shift); or,
d. the employer's operation requires that employees be available to respond to urgent conditions, and that the employees are compensated for the meal period.

Meal period requirements are covered under 31-51ii of the Conn. State Statutes
9.  Does an employer have to provide vacation or holiday pay?
No. These are fringe benefits provided at the discretion of the employer. They are not required by law.
10. Does an employer have to provide sick pay?
Regarding sick leave or sick days, you are required to comply with the Paid Sick Leave Act, P.A. 11-52. Click here to obtain information on the Paid Sick Leave Act.
11. Can an employer cut an employee's pay, reduce the employee's  hours or benefits, or change the employee's job duties?
Yes, as long as the employee is notified in advance of the pay period and in writing. This is covered in the CT General Statute Section 31-71f.
12. If an employee owes the employer money, or the employer wishes to deduct from wages for employee errors, can wages be withheld?
No, an employer may not withhold or divert wages unless provided specifically by law. This is covered in CT General Statute Section 31-71e.
13. How does an employer receive permission to deduct from wages for specific reasons?
The employer can submit a sample deduction form to the Wage and Workplace Standards Division for consideration. Typical deductions are for employee loans or purchases, credit union, uniforms, and advances on fringe benefits.
14. When must an employer pay wages upon termination?
If discharged, next business day. If laid off or quit, next regular pay day.
15. May an employer pay employees other than weekly?
Although State law requires a weekly pay within 8 days of the end of the pay period, an employer may write the Wage and Workplace Standards Division for a waiver of this, with the conditions stated in CT General Statutes Section 31-71i.
16. How does an employer obtain a waiver from the weekly pay requirement?
A letter should be sent to the Director of the Wage and Workplace Standards Division describing the reason for the change and the desired frequency. Most requests are for a bi-weekly payroll. Thirty days notice should be given to employees affected by the change.
17. What records must an employer retain?
Please see the "Records to be Retained by Employers" page for more information.
18. May an employer keep records outside the place of employment?
Permission can be granted after a request is submitted to the Wage and Workplace Standards Division.
19. Is there a sub-minimum rate that applies to minors in Connecticut?
Yes. Minors in Connecticut may be paid 85% of Connecticut's minimum wage for the first 200 hours of employment in any industry or occupation.
20. What may an employee between the ages of 16 and 18 who has worked less than 200 hours and less than 90 days be paid?
Since the higher standard applies, a minor employee must be paid at least the $8.16 per hour (85% of the current minimum wage of $9.60 per hour).
21. Is there an employers' checklist for the employment of minors in Connecticut?
Yes. Please see the "Employers' Checklist for Employment of Minors" page for more information.
22. Are there any exemptions to the child labor laws?
Exemptions may be found on the "Exemptions from Child Labor Laws" page.

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2002 - present year