Connecticut Department of Labor, Partner of the American Job Center Network
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


Employee Complaint Forms


Employer Forms


Manuals and Publications


Prevailing Wages


Standard Wage Rates


Workplace Standards


Employment of Minors




Joint Enforcement
Commission For Worker Misclassification


Stop Work Orders


Contact Us


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Workers


1. What is the minimum wage?
As of January 1st 2017, the minimum wage is $10.10 per hour. For minors working in agriculture or government, it is 85% of minimum wage, and for minors working in other industries, it is 85% for the first 200 hours. This is covered in Section 31-58 and Section 31-58a of the CT State Statutes.
2. What is the minimum wage for Service employees (waitpersons and bartenders)?
The minimum wage for service employees is $10.10 per hour with a gratuity allowance of 36.8% of the minimum wage for waitpersons  and $10.10 per hour with a gratuity allowance of 18.5% of the minimum wage for bartenders The base wage is $6.38 per hour and $8.23 for bartenders. IMPORTANT NOTE: All state and federal taxes are required to be paid based on at least the $10.10 minimum wage (gross wages).
3. When is my employer required to pay me overtime?
After 40 hours of actual work in the same work week. It is calculated at one and one-half times your regular rate of pay. This is covered under the CT State Statutes in the following sections:
4. Am I due overtime after working 8 hours in a day, or on a Sunday, or on a holiday?
No, unless by employment agreement.
5. Is my employer required to provide me a break?
Connecticut state law does not require your employer to provide you a break. For additional information, please see "Is my employer required to provide me a meal period?" below.
6. Is my employer required to provide me a meal period?
Your employer must provide you a meal period of at least 30 consecutive minutes if you have worked for 7 and one-half or more consecutive hours. However, the Labor Commissioner will exempt your employer from this requirement if one of the following conditions is present:
a. complying with this requirement would endanger public safety;
b. the duties of the position can only be performed by one employee;
c. the employer employs less than 5 employees on that shift at that one business location (this only applies to that particular shift); or,
d. the employer's operation requires that employees be available to respond to urgent conditions, and that the employees are compensated for the meal period.

Meal period requirements are covered under 31-51ii of the Conn. State Statutes.

7. Does my employer have to provide me vacation pay or holiday pay?
No. These are fringe benefits provided at the discretion of your employer. They are not required by law.
8. Does my employer have to provide me sick pay?
Regarding sick leave or sick days, employers are required to comply with the Paid Sick Leave Act, P.A. 11-52. Click here to obtain information on the Paid Sick Leave Act.
9. Can my employer cut my pay, reduce my hours or benefits, or change my job duties?
Yes, as long as you are notified in advance of the pay period and in writing. This is covered in the CT General Statute Section 31-71f.
10. If I owe my employer money, or my employer wishes to deduct from my wages errors I have made, can these wages be withheld?
No, your employer may not withhold or divert wages unless provided specifically by law. This is covered in CT General Statute Section 31-71e.
11. When must my employer pay me my wages when I am terminated?
If you are discharged, your employer must pay you the next business day. If you are laid off or you quit, your employer must pay you the next regular pay day.
12. What do I do if my employer did not pay me all the money I am owed?
You can file a Statement of Claim for Wages. This form can be given to you at any American Job Center or, you can contact the Wage and Workplace Standards Division at (860) 263-6790. It is also available on-line at the following link: Statement of Claim for Wages. Return the completed form to the address listed on the form.

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Copyright 2002 - present year