Connecticut Department of Labor
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


A Guide to Your Rights & Responsibilities When Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Connecticut
Benefits Are Taxable

Any unemployment benefits you receive are fully taxable by the IRS and the State of Connecticut, provided you are required to file a tax return.

  • You may voluntarily have taxes withheld for federal and Connecticut income taxes.  This choice may be made at the time you file your new claim, or  during your benefit series, to become effective with  the  first check paid after your request is  processed.  Once you choose to have taxes withheld, however, you can change your election only once during your benefit year.   For more details on tax withholding, please see pamphlet UC-620, Voluntary Withholding of Income Tax, available in your Career Center.

  • If you do not have taxes withheld, it is your responsibility to determine the amount of your tax and pay the amount due on your annual tax returns.

  • It may be necessary for you to make estimated tax payments.

For more information on when you should make estimated tax payments, see:

Address all questions to the Internal Revenue Service and/or the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services. 

You can find out more about estimated tax and how to pay it by calling or visiting these agencies.

  • IRS toll free number 1-800-829-1040

  • CT Department of Revenue Services 1-800-382-9463  (If calling outside the state of Connecticut 1-860-297-5962)

Sufficient Information will be furnished on Form 1099-G to meet your federal, state and personal income tax needs.  Benefits paid on interstate claims will be reported by the paying state.

Form 1099-G will be provided by January 31st of each calendar year, indicating the dollar amount of benefits received during the preceding year and the amount of federal and state taxes withheld, if any.  The Internal Revenue Service and the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services will be given the same information. 

CALL THE TeleBenefits LINE IF YOU change your address.

return to Unemployment Insurance  |  return to table of contents

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2002 - 2016 State of Connecticut