Connecticut Department of Labor
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


Important Message Regarding U.I. Benefits Paid (UC-1099G Tax Forms)

Effective January 1, 2017 The CT Department of Labor will no longer mail hardcopies of form 1099G. Printable electronic copies are available online.

The UC-1099G tax form (Statement of Unemployment Compensation Payments) is now available online for calendar years 2012-2016. To better secure your information, a login page is now in use. If you’ve already used our online account system to file weekly (continued) claims, perform account status inquiries, or manage your receipt of benefits via direct deposit or debit card, you must enter the same User ID and Password that you’ve used to access those features in order to access your tax information.  If you don’t already have a user ID and Password or you’ve forgotten your User ID or Password, you can click on the “Create an Account/Forgot User ID or Password” link.  

Please click here to access the UC-1099G Tax Form System*.

*If you are using a public computer, please logout after printing your UC-1099G information.



  1. Why do I need Form UC-1099G for 2016?
    The purpose of this information is to show the amount of unemployment benefits that were received in 2016, including any taxes withheld and any amounts repaid so that you can complete your tax filing for 2016 (if applicable). UC-1099G information is needed by anyone who in 2016:
  • was paid unemployment benefits, or

  • repaid all or part of an outstanding overpayment, or

  • had unemployment benefits offset to repay an overpayment, or

  • had income tax refunds intercepted to repay an unemployment overpayment, or

  • had child support deducted from unemployment benefits.

  1. Why is the Department of Labor no longer mailing me a paper copy of my UC-1099G information? Do I need the paper form to file my taxes?
    Starting in January 2017, the Department of Labor has gone paperless with UC-1099G information as a cost savings measure. You need only to include the UC-1099G information that is available to you online when you complete your tax return. You do not need to submit a paper UC-1099G to the IRS.

  2. Is UC-1099G information a bill for unemployment received in 2016 and do I need to repay the amount listed?
    No, UC-1099G information is not a bill and you do not need to repay any of the amounts shown. The UC-1099G information is intended to be used when filing your 2016 taxes.

  3. Why do I need UC-1099G information for 2016 when my company’s holiday shutdown was in 2015 and my employer submitted our unemployment claim in 2015?
    Unemployment benefits are reported to the IRS via UC-1099G when they were paid to you. Therefore, if the shutdown was at the end of 2015 and benefits were paid in January 2016, those earnings are reported with your UC-1099G information for 2016.

  4. I see a figure reported in #3 “AMOUNT REPAID” of my UC-1099G information. What does it mean?
    The figure reported in #3 “AMOUNT REPAID” reflects repayment(s) you made in 2016 for a past unemployment compensation overpayment, including cash or credit card repayments, offsets to your unemployment benefits, garnishments, and intercepts from income tax refunds. Please consult the IRS or a tax expert to determine if you can claim an unemployment repayment for 2016.

  5. I don’t agree with the amounts reported in my UC-1099G information. What can I do?
    Please note that #2 “TOTAL UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION PAYMENTS” includes all payments made to you in 2016 and any federal and state taxes withheld and any child support deductions. You can verify these amounts by logging in to your unemployment account from HERE to view your payment history. For repaid amounts in #3 “AMOUNT REPAID” that are related to a past overpayment, please contact the Benefit Payment Control Unit (BPCU) at (860) 263-6325.

  6. My UC-1099G information for 2016 shows that either no taxes were taken out or too little taxes were taken out. Is there anything that can be done to correct this issue?
    If you elected to have taxes withheld from your unemployment benefits when you filed your initial claim, tax amounts were withheld at a flat percentage from payments made to you in 2016. If you did not elect to have taxes withheld from your unemployment benefits when you filed your inItial claim, no tax amounts were withheld. If you are currently filing for unemployment benefits or file a claim in the future, you may request that your withholding status be changed from HERE.

  7. Does the Department of Labor report the UC-1099G information to the IRS?
    Yes, the Department of Labor is required to send this information to the IRS and does so electronically. It is up to you, the tax filer, to include your individual UC-1099G information when you file your tax return.

  8. I am having trouble accessing my DOL account to get my UC1099G information. What am I doing wrong?
    If you have not accessed your account in a year or more, your account has been deactivated and you will have to create a new one from HERE.

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2002 - present year