Connecticut Department of Labor
  Home About Us FAQ News and Notices Contact Us
Unemployment Benefits On-Line Job Seekers Employers Labor Market Information Directions/Office Information


New Legislation Allows Relocated Military Spouses To Apply for Unemployment Benefits

For immediate release
November 20, 2007

WETHERSFIELD -- New Connecticut legislation allows unemployment benefits for an employee who leaves a Connecticut job to accompany a spouse who is required to relocate while on active duty with the U.S. armed forces.
“Public Act 07-5 specifies that the claimant’s separation must take place between July 1, 2007 and June 30, 2008,” notes State Labor Commissioner Patricia H. Mayfield. “Claimants will be required to provide a copy of the service member’s transfer orders,” she added.

“We anticipate that the majority of claimants who apply for these benefits will already be living out of state and therefore will file by calling our Interstate office,” Mayfield said. “As part of the legislation, Connecticut General Statutes were amended so that most employers would not be assessed a charge for any former employee eligible for benefits under these new guidelines.” 

Claims can be filed by using the Labor Department’s Dial to File TeleBenefits phone system or by applying online through the WebBenefits system. To obtain a listing of local TeleBenefits numbers or to use the WebBenefits option, visit the Connecticut Department of Labor’s Web site,  Potentially eligible individuals living out-of-state are advised to call the Interstate office at 1-800-942-6653.  

Media Contact: Nancy Steffens  (860) 263-6535

200 Folly Brook Boulevard, Wethersfield, CT 06109 / Phone: 860-263-6000

Home | Home Send Feedback
State of Connecticut Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2002 - present year